Month: October 2019
Man Utd academy chief Butt reveals loan plans for youngstersby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United academy chief Nicky Butt has revealed plans to release several of their youth teamers for loan next month.Butt, expects some members of his Under-19 squad to depart on loan during the January transfer window, despite the promise of playing knockout games in the UEFA Youth League in March. He said of the forthcoming loan market, “It will affect the Under-19s [as a team]. But if you ask any Manchester United fan or Ed [Woodward] or the owners or the manager, they want players in the first team. That’s my job. That’s the job of the Academy coaches – to get players in the first team. If you can win competitions as well, that’s the best thing you can do.”Is it good to have some players just waiting for an Under-19s game to come along? No. So we are looking to get players out on loan to develop them so they come back better players and better people for our club, with a real chance on playing on the biggest stage in the world.”Butt continued: “We see January as a changeover of the guard if you like. “A lot more players will be pushing up to the Reserves and the youth team will be made up more regularly of first-year scholars.“They will be starting more regularly in the youth team and players will be going out on loan. But, yeah, we plan – we don’t just pick it out of the air.””“We make plans for a year, 18 months or two years for players and we believe it’s the right way to do things.” TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd winger James ruled out of Astana clashby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDaniel James has been ruled out of Manchester United’s Europa League clash with Astana. The 21-year-old winger sustained a knock in Saturday’s win over Leicester City.Prior to Thursday’s tie, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: “Yeah, he [James] got a knock against Leicester so he won’t be available.”Paul Pogba, Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial (thigh) are also unavailable for United’s first Europa League match of the season.
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Danilo D’Ambrosio pleased to prove Inter Milan matchwinnerby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDanilo D’Ambrosio was pleased to prove Inter Milan’s matchwinner against Lazio last night.His header separated the two teams on the night.D’Ambrosio later remarked: “What counts are the three points, this is always the case. I missed from close range against Milan but luckily my mistake didn’t matter in the end.“In the first half, we didn’t produce what the Coach had asked from us, but then we played in a more relaxed manner and deserved the win. We could have scored a second after the restart to put the result beyond doubt, but in the end we got the three points. This is the most important thing.“I feel comfortable in any kind of role, playing as part of a five or three doesn’t make any difference for me. When you have a coach like Conte, there are memorised playing patterns and you need to give 100% in every match, irrespective of the position you play in. Lazio are an experienced side and have quality in all positions. If we’d lost or drawn today, the Derby result would have meant nothing.”
Clemson Football Coach Dabo Swinney Also Believes Notre Dame Should Be In A Conference To Be Playoff Eligible
Dabo Swinney WhipAs we make it through college football media days and the various ESPN “car washes” that follow, Notre Dame’s independent status has become a hot topic of conversation once again. Last week, Missouri’s Gary Pinkel argued that the Fighting Irish should be forced into joining a league within a year. Clemson’s Dabo Swinney agrees: either Notre Dame should join a league with a conference championship, or adopt a 13 game schedule.Dabo Swinney agrees w/Gary Pinkel: “Absolutely Notre Dame needs to be in conference or play 13 games to be in @CFBPlayoff“— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) July 27, 2015Swinney’s not the only high-profile ACC coach to think this.Paul Johnson: “Notre Dame should be in the ACC. It’s another brand program to strengthen the conference.”— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) July 27, 2015The ACC obviously has a lot to gain from Notre Dame, if it ever committed fully to joining a conference. With the current scheduling arrangement between the Fighting Irish and the league, the ACC is currently the most logical landing spot for Notre Dame football. Adding Notre Dame would be a big boost to the ACC football brand, which lags behind the other power conferences when it comes to perceived strength.
CFB Playoff.Campus Insiders has released their bowl projections for the 2016 season and they don’t have a team from the conference making the College Football Playoff. CI has 12 ACC teams making bowl games (if you include Notre Dame) – Clemson, Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Miami, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Duke, Virginia Tech, NC State.Here are their full projections: NC State in the St. Petersburg Bowl vs. TempleVirginia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl vs. NorthwesternDuke in the Camping World Independence Bowl vs. Mississippi StateGeorgia Tech in the Military Bowl vs. CincinnatiSyracuse in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. NebraskaMiami in the Russell Athletic Bowl vs. Oklahoma StatePittsburgh in the Birmingham Bowl vs. MissouriFlorida State in the Belk Bowl vs. South CarolinaNotre Dame in the Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ArizonaNorth Carolina in the TaxSlayer Bowl vs. FloridaLouisville in the Capital One Bowl vs. AlabamaClemson in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl vs. HoustonAgree with their projections? You can see the full projections here.
Barcelona neither wanted, nor could afford, a repeat of ‘The Antoine Griezmann case’.For anyone who missed it last year, the Atletico Madrid striker had heavily hyped up a television show on which he would make an announcement regarding his future.What followed was humiliation for the current La Liga champions, who were convinced a deal was done, only for it to be revealed that he would be staying in Madrid . Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The club felt cheated by the Frenchman, just as they had felt cheated a year prior following Neymar’s transfer to Paris Saint-Germain – a move that happened just months after the Brazilian signed a renewal at Camp Nou.In addition to that perceived affront by the French champions, PSG had already denied Barcelona even the possibility of opening talks with long-time targets Thiago Silva and Marquinhos, and followed up the Blaugrana’s interest in Marco Verratti by poaching their €222 million Brazilian striking superstar.As previously published by Goal and contrary to what the clubs tell the public, Neymar has been in touch with Barca regarding a return and those in Catalunya are equally keen to bring back the man who was earmarked as Lionel Messi’s successor at the club.As one could imagine, things are far from rosy between the two sides at the moment. Indeed, both teams once again chased the same player in Ajax’s Frenkie de Jong.Between the Griezmann incident and the so-called financial bullying of the French side, president Josep Maria Bartomeu went all-in to ensure Barca got their man this time, taking personal charge of making sure a deal for De Jong happened.On Thursday, the transfer was confirmed. De Jong will arrive at Camp Nou this summer with the initial transfer fee being €75m, plus a further €11m in variables. De Jong’s contract will last until 2024 and he will earn in the region of €16m a season.The biggest winners in the whole scenario are, of course, the player himself and Ajax, who will recoup far more than they expected after a successful bidding war that also included Manchester City and Juventus.The numbers might seem outlandish (or not, given the way the market has gone in the past few years) but Bartomeu needed a win away from the pitch.Landing the 21-year-old De Jong represents not only a sound investment for the future, but also sends a spiteful message to a team whom Barca feel have done them wrong.
Alisson has been backed to become an Anfield legend, having already “proved this year he’s a great goalkeeper”, according to ex-Liverpool shot-stopper Ray Clemence.The 26-year-old joined the Reds last summer from Roma in a huge £67 million ($84m) deal, replacing Loris Karius as the club’s number one.Alisson made the transition from Serie A to the Premier League seamlessly, helping Liverpool challenge Manchester City for the title whilst also playing a key role in Europe. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Jurgen Klopp’s side finished second in the top flight last season and the Brazil international only conceded 22 goals in total over the course of the campaign – the best record in the league.Liverpool also won the Champions League, as Alisson grabbed yet another clean sheet in a 2-0 final victory over Tottenham.Clemence, who played in goal for the Reds during their golden 1970s era, believes the former Roma star has the potential to go down in history at Anfield if he can remain consistent in the coming years. “He’s proved this year he’s a great goalkeeper,” he told Sky Sports. “Truly great ones, the legends, continue to do that for the next five, 10 years.”The word legend is thrown out without thinking, some of the players I was lucky to play with did it for six, seven, eight, 10 years – and that’s why they are so revered at Liverpool.”But he’s had a great start. With foreign players, it’s partly down to how long they and their families want to stay at a club. Hopefully yes, but only they can make that call.”Klopp’s men fell short of Premier League glory by a single point behind City last term, after making great strides forward as a cohesive all-around team.Alisson’s arrival ended Liverpool’s long search for a reliable man between the sticks, as Karius and Simon Mignolet struggled to convince in the years prior to his arrival.The Reds have become one of Europe’s finest defensive sides over the last 12 months and Clemence is happy to credit the Brazilian for the huge impact he has had at Anfield.”He deserves all the accolades because of what he did last year,” Clemence added. “I’ve not met him yet, hopefully, I will at some stage, but he seems a very level-headed goalkeeper, not over-confident, but he’s got a good balance”He never seems to get flustered, the great goalkeepers always look in control of every situation. He has that ability to make saves other goalkeepers can’t make. But the great goalkeepers make the saves when the game’s tight, to keep them in it.” Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web
Bruno Fernandes will certainly cost more than €62 million (£56m/$70m), Sporting C.P. president Frederico Varandas has insisted, amid reports of interest from Manchester United. The Red Devils have been linked with the Portugal international for a number of months, with Ole Gunnar Solskajer seeing him as a potential replacement for Paul Pogba if the French playmaker were to leave this summer.Reports in Portugal have claimed Man Utd are preparing a bid in the region of £56m ($70m), so Varandas’ latest comments will come as a blow to the Premier League side. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Solskjaer is looking to rebuild his squad after a poor end to the 2018-19 campaign and has already brought in Daniel James from Swansea and Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace. And if big-name players like Pogba and Romelu Lukaku were to leave, the Norwegian would almost certainly need to bolster his options further, but Varandas insists Sporting do not need to sell the 24-year-old. “I don’t know if there are many or if there are few [interested clubs],” he told RTP.“What I know, a lot has been spoken of values, coming to the press, €55m, €62m… for that he doesn’t leave, for sure.“If Bruno Fernandes leaves, players with quality will come. But if Bruno leaves.”Solskjaer is set to receive a boost, though, with David de Gea reportedly preparing to sign a new six-year deal.The Spain international appears eager to take on more responsibility at Old Trafford and says he would like to become captain after Antonio Valencia left the club at the end of last season. And while Fernandes could still join the Red Devils, Solskjaer is adamant the club will not spend more than the market rate on any new signings. “We have been linked with so many players,” the Man Utd boss told reporters earlier this month.”I’m sure you don’t believe every single player that we’ve been linked with, but I think that Manchester United sometimes have, because of the wealth, maybe we have had to pay more, a bigger premium to get players in, and that’s just the world we live in.”And we’ve taken our time, we’re not going to overpay, but we have to get the right people in, the right players.”
ABC ColumbiaJosh Belk’s transfer was one of the big wins of the off-season for the South Carolina Gamecocks. The fact that the team landed a former five-star player that was previously at hated rival Clemson made things even sweeter.Belk played in the first two games this year for the Gamecocks, before dealing with an ankle injury. He has been out since, and it seems like he will use a redshirt as he improves his conditioning.A member of the class of 2018, Belk was originally a Clemson Tiger early enrollee. After a few months on campus, he decided Clemson wasn’t for him, and elected to transfer, eventually settling on South Carolina.After a few months of waiting, the NCAA deemed him immediately eligible in late August.Josh Belk still has some friends at Clemson football, and while South Carolina football was at Ole Miss, he elected to head upstate to visit them.While there, Belk was spotted on the field after Clemson’s blowout win over Louisville by Greg Brzozowski of the local ABC affiliate in Columbia.Here’s the #Gamecocks’ Josh Belk at #Clemson with some former teammates after their 77-16 win over Louisville.Belk didn’t go with USC to Ole Miss, out since Georgia Sep. 8 (ankle). Clemson SID Ross Taylor says he was “not made made aware that Josh was attending today.” pic.twitter.com/PPiR11EuBy— Greg Brzozowski (@GregABCColumbia) November 3, 2018He wasn’t an invitee of Clemson, obviously, and probably had a ticket to the game. Clemson fans go on the field after every home game, as a tradition, so Belk was able to make it down.Will Muschamp was asked about it on Tuesday, and said he wasn’t aware of Belk heading to Clemson. South Carolina does not have a policy for what players that aren’t on the travel roster do during games. He says he addressed the situation with Belk.From The State:When Will Muschamp was first asked about his four-star freshman Josh Belk visiting Clemson while the Gamecocks were on the road at Ole Miss, he had a short answer.“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Muschamp said Sunday night.He got asked about it again Tuesday and did know about it, dealing with it quickly and concisely.“Josh and I had a conversation,” Muschamp said. “We’re fine. We’re moving on.”Belk also addressed the situation on Twitter, saying that it was nice to see his former teammates, but also congratulating his team on the big road win.Good seeing my boys that I went in with, but on the other hand good #gamecock win. Back to business ?? #spursup— Josh Belk (@jbelk50) November 3, 2018Obviously South Carolina fans would rather not see their players commiserating with the arch-rival Tigers, but Belk obviously had a bond with some of the other players on the team, even if he only stuck around for a few months. It is also not at all uncommon for college students to visit friends at other schools. The optics are weird, but this is hardly a scandal.[The State]
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – DECEMBER 02: Urban Meyer the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes hugs his wife Shelley Meyer on the field after 27-21 win over the Wisconsin Badgers in the Big Ten Championship at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 2, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)Several Ohio State players have taken to Twitter to defend Urban Meyer and shoot down Brett McMurphy’s latest report about the Buckeyes’ head coach, which alleges Zach Smith used a racial slur against a player at practice.Multiple Ohio State players who were at that practice have strongly denied the allegations.“There’s no way that anyone would believe this. NO WAY. This lie is just out of hand. I was present during the entire altercation and what’s said in this article NEVER HAPPENED. I can guarantee it. Crazy how social media gives people platforms just to spread nonsense,” one wide receiver tweeted.There’s no way that anyone would believe this. NO WAY. This lie is just out of hand. I was present during the entire altercation and what’s said in this article NEVER HAPPENED. I can guarantee it. Crazy how social media gives people platforms just to spread nonsense. https://t.co/FRBLucb9WY— Parris Campbell (@PCampbell21) November 13, 2018“I witness the whole altercation and this didn’t happen.. You think a group of African American young men will sit there and let something like this happen? Say what you want but this isn’t true at all,” another added.I witness the whole altercation and this didn’t happen.. You think a group of African American young men will sit there and let something like this happen? Say what you want but this isn’t true at all. https://t.co/FrteEDIa9H— Johnnie L. Dixon III (@YoungKing_JD5) November 13, 2018Urban Meyer’s youngest daughter, Gigi Meyer, has now taken to Twitter, too.She’s calling out McMurphy.“You are a joke,” she wrote.@Brett_McMurphy you are a joke.— Gigi Meyer (@GG_40) November 13, 2018Another former Ohio State player, Joshua Perry, has taken a strong stance, too.“Never in my life have I heard ANY Ohio State coach use a racial slur, and there is NO CHANCE Coach Meyer would ever allow that. You’re trying to kill Urban’s career and I’m not here for it,” he wrote.Never in my life have I heard ANY @OhioStateFB coach use a racial slur, and there is NO CHANCE Coach Meyer would ever allow that. You’re trying to kill Urban’s career and I’m not here for it. https://t.co/Suxhzn8Jiv— Joshua E Perry (@RIP_JEP) November 13, 2018Ohio State reportedly did an investigation of the alleged incident, admitting that there was an interaction between Smith and the former Buckeyes’ wide receiver, but they strongly denied the use of a slur, too.Urban Meyer reportedly denied comment on the story.