PBSO: Man Allegedly Struck Woman with Car, Threatened Her with Gun


first_imgA Palm Beach County man is facing charges, after authorities say he ran over a woman with his vehicle and threatened her with a gun last Tuesday night.The suspect, 26-year-old Lake Charke Shores resident Naim Kahook, is now free on $50,000 bond after his arrest Wednesday on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated battery.“There’s two sides to every story and we look forward to our day in court,” Rob Melchiorre, Kahook’s attorney, told The Palm Beach Post on Friday evening.The alleged assault took place at a home in West Palm Beach, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.Deputies discovered a 21-year-old woman lying in the fetal position on the parking lot asphalt.The woman was taken to St. Mary’s Medical Center, where she was treated for cracked ribs and punctured lungs, according to the arrest report.Courtesy: Palm Beach County Sheriff’s OfficeShe told deputies the attack happened after Kahook arrived to pick up a child who was in her care.According to the police report, Kahook placed the child in the rear passenger seat. The woman says she then reached in to hold the child’s hand, as Kahook got into the driver’s seat and drove away, striking her with the car.Kahook then allegedly then stopped and exited the car, and pointed a gun at the woman and an unidentified male. The man asked Kahook what he was doing, at which time Kahook returned to his car and drove away.However, Kahook told investigators that he was driving away when the woman ran up and tried to remove the child from the vehicle. He says that he stopped to check on the woman, but denies pointing a gun at her, and claims that he left when other people at the scene began to “pile up” on him.last_img read more


Florida might extend statewide evictions ban


first_imgFlorida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he is considering extending the statewide moratorium on housing evictions that is set to expire on Saturday.DeSantis signaled the possibility of the extension during a roundtable discussion in Orlando about the coronavirus pandemic Tuesday, saying officials will have “something on that soon.” The moratorium, which was implemented in April, allows people to avoid eviction from their homes amid the virus outbreak.The governor has previously extended the ban twice, hours before it was set to expire, news outlets reported.last_img


Matt Homich takes fourth in MDI Marathon


first_img Latest Posts Drive-thru flu shot clinics scheduled – September 18, 2020 Donald Trump Jr. to host Holden campaign event – September 18, 2020 Latest posts by (see all) BAR HARBOR — Matt Homich of Ellsworth finished the Mount Desert Island Marathon first among Hancock County runners on Sunday.Homich, 27, placed fourth overall of more than 800 runners from across the country in two hours, 38 minutes and nine seconds, averaging a 6:03-minute mile pace.Michael Crouch of Chicopee, Mass., took first, setting a new course record in 2:26.55.Leah Frost of Glover, Vt., was the first female finisher with a time of 2:49.44 — just 30 seconds slower than the women’s course record.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe event, organized by Crow Athletics, also included a half-marathon, relays and a Kids’ Run.Brian Harvey of Boston and Laura Caplan of Cambridge, Mass., both set course records in the half-marathon with times of 1:07.45 and 1:30.38.The Maine Warden Service defended its title in the public safety relay, with its three-person team — “Chafing the Dream” —taking first overall in 2:48.03.Find more results here. Bio Real Estate Transfers Week of Sept. 17 – September 18, 2020last_img read more


Hancock County athletes named to All-Conference teams


first_imgELLSWORTH — Mount Desert Island’s Ryan Bender and Bucksport’s Johann Bradley were both named to the Penobscot Valley Conference-Eastern Maine Indoor Track League All-Conference boys’ first team.Bender qualified for both the 55 and 400-meter dash while Bradley was recognized in the pole vault.For the girls, MDI’s Ashley Anderson qualified for the second team in four events: the 55-, 200- and 400-meter dashes as well as the 4×200-meter relay with teammates Lily Turner, Sydney Kachmar and Adriana Novella.The following Hancock County athletes also qualified for PVC-EMITL second teams.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textGirls’ second teamOne-mile run: Ellsworth’s Kiona Osterlin.Shot put: Bucksport’s Mavis Taungatu’a; MDI’s Mackenzie Hanna.High jump: Ellsworth’s Rachel Bunker.Boys’ second team200-yard dash: MDI’s Ryan Bender.Shot put: MDI’s Croix Albee.Long jump: MDI’s Ryan Bender.last_img read more


Girls on the Run: Ellsworth chapter kicks off first season


first_imgELLSWORTH — Maine Coast Memorial Hospital and the Down East Family YMCA are hosting a new program this spring.Girls on the Run is a 10-week afterschool program for girls in the third through fifth grade. Volunteer coaches guide girls through fun lessons that help them understand who they are, the importance of teamwork and how they can positively shape the world.The season ends with the girls completing a Girls on the Run 5K, which provides an understanding of a framework for setting and achieving life goals. Girls of all fitness ability and levels are encouraged to join.Girls on the Run programs inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe interactive curriculum covers topics such as self-awareness, building healthy relationships and developing personal strengths. The program lessons also include the completion of a community service project and running practice with the end goal of completing a non-competitive 5K.Girls on the Run is an international organization that began in 1996 to promote physical, emotional and social development in girls before they reach high school. The goal of the program is to prevent future at-risk behaviors such as adolescent pregnancies, eating disorders, depression, suicide attempts and substance abuse problems.The after-school lessons are led by trained coaches who guide the girls through the 10-week program and help prepare them for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. At the end of the program season, girls and their coaches run or walk a 5K together.Registration is now open and spots are available on a first come, first served basis. Registration will close on March 19. The program fee is $50, with financial assistance available.Visit www.girlsontherunmaine.org to register. The spring session will meet on Mondays and Thursdays at the YMCA from 3-4:30 p.m. beginning on March 21.last_img read more


Tracy’s Karate holds 103rd tournament in Bucksport


first_img Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020 Bio BUCKSPORT — Karen and Dennis Tracy have been holding karate tournaments for 40 years now. As the faces of martial arts in Hancock County, the two are no strangers to teaching the craft to students of all ages.The couple, owners of Tracy’s Karate on Bangor Road, first began teaching the sport in 1971. Over four decades later, their reach has expanded across the state in an effort to bring karate to as many people as possible.The Tracys continued that mission recently when more than 200 competitors came to Hancock County recently for this year’s edition of the Maine team karate championships. Teams of five participants from Maine and Atlantic Canada took part in the Tracys’ annual event, which took place at Bucksport High School.“It was another successful tournament,” Karen Tracy said. “Everyone competed with grace and showcased the progress they’ve made and the skills they’ve learned.”This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textCompetitors came to Bucksport from 18 dojos in the region. Nine of those dojos compete under the Tracy name, stretching from Hancock County all the way to Yarmouth.Participating teams had to win six matches in order to be crowned the tournament’s grand champion. This year’s winning black belt team consisted of Mike Giles of Bangor, Dustin Coty of Presque Isle, Johnathan MacArthur and Cameron Sarchi of Yarmouth and Sadie Hartt of Presque Isle.Each year, black and brown belts contribute yearly dues to sponsor a scholarship fund for students seeking to continue their educations. This year, Marissa Thompson of Bucksport, Malorie Young of Bar Harbor, Jenna Rice of Yarmouth and Dustin and Dylan Coty of Presque Isle received scholarships totaling $3,250.“We want the students who come here to not just develop good karate skills but also build skills that can take them throughout life,” Karen Tracy said. “Even when you’re not doing karate, mental strength and discipline will take you where you want to go.”Students as young as three or four years of age come to Tracy’s for lessons, but age is not a limiting factor at this dojo. One of the students, Charlie Bishop of Bucksport, is 86 years old.“He’s still going strong all these years later,” Dennis Tracy said. “It just goes to show that dedication and commitment can overcome anything.”In addition to the championships in Bucksport ever year, the couple also puts on a qualifying tournament at the high school in the spring. Like the state team championships, that tournament draws nearly 200 competitors to the high school.“It’s something we love doing,” Dennis Tracy said. “To see hundreds of people improve their skills and get rewarded for their hard work is something that makes it all worth it for you.”The next tournament will be held April 28 at Bucksport High School. The winners will advance to next year’s Maine team championships at the same location. Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all)center_img Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Latest Posts Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at mmandell@ellsworthamerican.com.last_img read more


Lakshay Sheoran-Shreyasi Singh Sixth in Mixed Trap Shooting


first_imgJakarta: India’s mixed trap shooting team of Lakshay Sheoran and Shreyasi Singh finished sixth and last at the 18th Asian Games here on Tuesday. Lakshay-Shreyasi scored 16 points in the finals to be eliminated first with a disappointing performance.Lebanon’s Alain Moussa and Ray Bassil came up with an Asian record score of 43 to take the gold medal, while Chinese Taipei and China claimed the silver and bronze medals.Earlier during the qualification round, Lakshay and Shreyasi finished fifth with a total score of 142. IANSlast_img


Danielle Wyatt Takes Funny Dig at Indian Pacer Jasprit Bumrah


first_imgLondon: After India’s pace sensation Jasprit Bumrah tweeted “coming soon”, with a picture of him working out at a gym, England’s top-order batswoman Danielle Wyatt took a funny dig at the pacer. Down with a back stress fracture just before the South Africa series, Bumrah is back on his toes, it had been reported earlier. Bumrah on Tuesday had updated fans about his fitness and gave signs of being back on the field very soon. However, Wyatt tried to pull the pacer’s leg and commented on the picture: “Baby weights”. Sources in the know of developments had said that the doctors in the UK were happy with the recovery that Bumrah was making post the injury and his back has been put on auto-heal mode and doesn’t need any surgery. IANSAlso Read: Women’s T20 Challenge: Velocity Record Easy Win Over TrailblazersAlso Watch: Know About | Vedic Philosophy in 21st Centurylast_img read more


Real Betis became first La Liga club to sack coach


first_imgMADRID: Real Betis became the first La Liga club to sack a coach since the season re-started after being halted by the COVID-19 pandemic, firing Rubi who failed to win any of the team’s first three matches in their return to action. Betis lost their first game back 2-0 to Sevilla and drew 2-2 with Granada in mid-week while the final straw proved to be Saturday’s 1-0 defeat by Athletic Bilbao, after Sergio Canales missed a late penalty. Betis released a statement in the early hours of Sunday saying Rubi had been relieved of his duties and that sporting director Alexis Trujillo, a former Betis player, would take charge of the team for the final eight games of the season. AgenciesAlso Watch: Another 1050 Bedded Quarantine Centre Ready in Guwahatilast_img


Imlach keeps East Bank in the hunt after top-order collapse


first_img– Kamesh Yadram unbeaten 104 rescue ECDA gutsy unbroken sixth-wicket stand of 57 between Tevin Imlach and Ryan Shun has left the final round of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Jaguars Franchise League Three-day clash between East Coast Demerara and East Bank in the balance.East Bank were staring another defeat in the face after squandering their advantage with a second innings top-order batting collapse.But at the end of the second day, at the Enterprise Busta Sports Club ground yesterday, they recovered from a perilous position of 56-5, to close on 113-5,chasing 178 for victory.Imlach and Shun resumed on 52 and 17 respectively, with East Bank 65 runs short of victory.Resuming the day on 34-0, East Coast Demerara were bundled out for 217.Earlier, Kamesh Yadram cracked an impressive 104 not out to pull his side out of trouble. The hosts, who had collapsed to 61-3 when the elder Yadram came in, were eventually bowled out for 217, half an hour before the second interval.The left-handed Yadram hardly played a false stroke in 205 minutes at the crease, and against an older ball on a true pitch, he single-handedly rebuilt the innings with sound and stylish shot-making.The visitors buckled down to their task on a slow, dry-looking pitch and dismissed both openers Bhaskar Yadram and Keon Roberts,along with First-class batsman Chanderpaul Hemraj,in less than an hour of play.Sherfane Rutherford (4-39) and Steven Harris (2-58), both bowled with great control to pile on much misery on the hosts, picking up the first three wickets.The 18-year-old Rutherford removed Yadram (33), while Harris dismissed Roberts (22) and Hemraj (4),but could not,however,do the trick to remove the 22-year-old, Yadram during his 165-ball knock.His innings featured both aggression and maturity, counting ten fours and three sixes. He was never hesitant to step out and hit the spinners, and at the same time was equal to the task in finding the gaps.Yadram added 30 for the fourth-wicket with Amir Khan (20),and 66 for the sixth-wicket with Paul Wintz (23), but after those two partnerships, the remainder of innings belonged to the home boy Yadram.He continued to bat with typical aplomb and reached his hundred with a single off left-arm unorthodox spinner Totaram Bishun (2-62), off 157 balls.During Yadram’s milestone, the hosts lost Khan, Ramnarine Chatura (1), Wintz, Rohan Mangal (0) and Gavin Moriah (0);bringing the innings quickly came to an end.The visitors were then undermined by pacer Wintz who produced a brilliant opening spell to claim 4-41 off nine overs.The top order failed to show any sort of commitment with the bat, and were reduced to 56-5, with Wintz claiming the wickets of Deonarine Seegobin (1), Stephan Brown (19), Mark Rhobe (1) and Danny Narine (0), while Gavin Moriah accounted for Rutherford (10).But just when the hosts thought they had the game,wicket-keeper Imlach and Shun took charge until the end of the day’s play.Meanwhile, summarised scores from the other games are as follows:At Port Mourant, tournament winners Lower Corentyne amassed a mammoth 649/9 declared in reply to West Berbice’s 174 all out yesterday. At Tuschen, Romario Shephard’s 8/49 rattled Essequibo as the folded for 134 all out after resuming on their overnight score of 87/3. At GCC, Bourda, Georgetown resuming on their overnight 116/2,were dismissed for 216.Matches continue today from 09:30last_img read more