Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionThink of it. Armed guards in every U.S. school. Oh, let’s not forget to arm the principals, vice principals, teachers, counselors, coaches and maintenance staff.We certainly can’t forget the nurse. And what about arming students? What could possibly go wrong? Sounds like a real safe learning environment, RIGHT?Richard SartoreClifton Park More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationHigh-risk COVID exposure reported in Clifton ParkFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusGame 7: Shenendehowa grad and Braves rookie Ian Anderson gets start with World Series spot on the li…
WebMD 6 June 2018Family First Comment: “These findings fly in the face of the Big Marijuana argument that somehow fewer young people will use marijuana if it is legalized. These data are clear. As more states move to commercialize, legalize and normalize marijuana, more young people are going to use today’s super-strength drug,” said Kevin Sabet, founder and president of Smart Approaches to Marijuana.www.saynopetodope.nzOne in four U.S. high school seniors would try marijuana or use it more often if it was legal, a new survey finds.That rate — the highest in the 43-year history of the Monitoring the Future survey — likely reflects growing pot legalization in the United States, researchers said.Broken down, about 15 percent of 12th graders said they would try marijuana if it was legal. And about 10 percent of current users said they would use it more often.“These findings fly in the face of the Big Marijuana argument that somehow fewer young people will use marijuana if it is legalized,” said Kevin Sabet, founder and president of Smart Approaches to Marijuana.“These data are clear. As more states move to commercialize, legalize and normalize marijuana, more young people are going to use today’s super-strength drug,” he said in a news release from the organization.READ MORE: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20180606/more-teens-than-ever-would-try-marijuana#1
The 40-year-old Alberto Arucan wascaught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 12:05 p.m. on Thursday, apolice report showed. Arucan – resident of Barangay 1,Victorias City – had been hiding from the police for about 16 years, the reportadded. The court recommended a total ofP260,000 bail bond for Arucan’s temporary liberty./PN Police officers served the warrantissued by Judge Reynaldo Alon of the Regional Trial Court Branch 40 in SilayCity dated Oct. 10, 2003. BACOLOD City – Police arrested a drugsuspect in Barangay 7, Victorias City, Negros Occidental. The suspect was detained in the lockupfacility of the Victorias City police station, facing charges for violation ofRepublic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.
Therese Alice Zins, 69, Greensburg, passed away on Sunday, August 2, 2020 at her residence. She was born on December 23, 1950 in Cincinnati, Ohio, the daughter of Howard Zins. Therese retired from Batesville Casket Co. in 2008 after working there for over 35 years. She graduated from the University of Cincinnati. Therese was a member of the Holy Family Catholic Church in Oldenburg and a member of the Secular Franciscan Order. She had coached drama at the Oldenburg Academy, was a volunteer in music ministry at several churches, and a season ticket holder to The Broadway Series and Playhouse in the Park in Cincinnati. Therese was an active member of Tree County Players (TCP) for many years. She performed in plays and directed quite a few musicals for TCP. She also served on the TCP Board of Directors. In her spare time, she enjoyed playing her guitar, watching Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and Judge Judy. She is survived by her father, Howard Zins, Batesville; six siblings, Mary (Bruce) Bergman, Brookville; Carol (Jim) Roell, Batesville; Patty Zins, Batesville; Judy (Ron) Franzen, California, KY; Michael (Jessica) Zins, Batesville; Jerry (Kathy) Zins, Batesville; numerous nieces, nephews, and her cat, Linus. She was preceded in death by two brothers, Thomas and Joey Zins; one sister, Annie Zins. Visitation for family and friends, observing CDC and state guidelines for social distancing and facial coverings, will be held on Wednesday, August 5, 2020 from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the Porter-Oliger-Pearson Funeral Home in Greensburg. A funeral mass will be held on Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. at the Holy Family Catholic Church in Oldenburg with Rev. Joseph Nelson officiating. All persons attending the mass are required to wear a mask. Interment will follow in the St. Mary of the Rock Catholic Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Franciscan Family of Apostolate or to Tree County Players through the funeral home. Online condolences can be made to the family at www.popfuneralhome.com
Arsenal have lost a High Court battle over a curb on the number of concerts that can be held at the Emirates Stadium. Press Association The Premier League giants had applied to double the number of music concerts from three to six at its north London stadium. Islington Council rejected the application and a planning inspector dismissed the club’s appeal in January this year. Arsenal argued at the High Court that there was a “clear error” in the decision-making process. But its case was rejected today by Mr Justice Cranston, who delivered his judgement in London, ruling that there had been no error of law. Opponents have voiced concerns over noise and rowdy music fans. Concerts featuring Bruce Springsteen, Coldplay and Muse have generated hundreds of thousands of pounds in extra revenue for the club. The inspector said that if Arsenal could afford to buy a player like midfielder Mesut Ozil for £43 million from Real Madrid, it could not plead poverty. At a recent hearing, Dan Kolinsky, representing the club, argued before Mr Justice Cranston that the inspector’s decision was legally flawed and should not be allowed to stand. Applying for judicial review, Mr Kolinksy submitted that the inspector had failed to apply the law correctly when he decided the proposal to double the number of concerts “did not accord with the development plan” for the stadium. Lawyers for the inspector and Islington argued that the inspector followed the correct approach and there was no substance in the club’s challenge. During the public inquiry run by the inspector, Arsenal chief executive director Ken Friar said the club needed the money from the gigs to perform in the extremely competitive world of football, citing Manchester United’s profits at £100 million compared to Arsenal’s £20 million.
James Ryan told CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday that athletic director Carla Williams and football coach Bronco Mendenhall are committed to a safe return to play. But Ryan says nothing will proceed until medical officials say it’s safe to resume workouts.Ryan says school officials are taking things day by day. He says students need to be back on campus before football can begin.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— President Trump has congratulated UFC for restarting the sports world Saturday night after a nearly two-month hiatus. Trump’s taped message was played during ESPN’s broadcast of the UFC 249 undercard from a fan-free arena Saturday in Jacksonville, Florida. He congratulated UFC President Dana White, who is a Trump business associate and a major contributor to his re-election campaign. UFC 249 served as the first major sporting event to take place since the global pandemic shut down much of the country nearly eight weeks ago. One of the fighters scheduled to take part in UFC249 tested positive for the COVID-19. Jacaré Souza’s middleweight bout against Uriah Hall was called off after Souza tested positive along with his two cornermen.— The Spanish soccer league is not changing its plan to resume competing after five players from clubs in the first and second divisions tested positive for COVID-19. The league confirmed the positive tests on Sunday but said it was not going to alter the practice protocol that got underway last week. Players from most clubs began individual training sessions on Friday after nearly two months of confinement because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league said it has told everyone to keep following health safety measures suggested by authorities, so the numbers of infected players “remain very low.” The five players who tested positive will remain sidelined until they fully recover. They will be allowed to resume practicing after testing negative in two consecutive tests. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSUVA president predicts no normal football seasonUNDATED (AP) — The president of the University of Virginia says he hopes college football can be played this fall, but he doesn’t expect it to seem like “normal football seasons.” May 10, 2020 Update on the latest sports — The English Premier League’s challenge of resuming during the coronavirus pandemic was underscored Sunday when Brighton announced a player had tested positive just as clubs prepare for fresh talks on how they can create safe conditions to play again. Brighton chief executive Paul Barber said the club’s COVID-19 case was “a concern,” with players still only training individually at the club. he 20 Premier League clubs are due to hold a conference call on Monday after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson addresses the nation on Sunday night setting out the stages for lifting the lockdown. The government has said it wants to see the return of the Premier League to “lift the spirits of the nation.”— America’s Cup teams are returning to the water in varying degrees nearly two months after the coronavirus pandemic forced the shutdown of what would have been an impressive global road show for sailing. Defending champion Emirates Team New Zealand has returned to training on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbor with its half-size test boat after a mandatory lockdown was lifted. The Kiwis don’t have access to their 75-foot race boat because it’s still being shipped back from Italy after a preliminary regatta scheduled for April was canceled. By Monday or Tuesday, the New York Yacht Club’s yacht Defiant will be headed from Pensacola, Florida, to Auckland on a 500-foot ship.— Former Houston Rockets star Yao Ming, who is now president of the Chinese Basketball Association, says the league has three options for resuming the season that has been on hold since Feb. 1 over the coronavirus pandemic. Yao says the league might play out the full schedule; play a shortened season with some games dropped; or end the regular season and go straight to the playoffs based on teams’ current rankings. Yao told state broadcaster CCTV that he hopes as much as the season can be played as possible, but that public health and fairness are the key considerations.— The president of the French Tennis Federation says holding the French Open without fans later this year is an option. The clay-court tournament at Roland Garros was initially slated to be held May 24-June 7, but has been rescheduled for Sept. 20-Oct. 4. Bernard Giudicelli tells a French newspaper (Le Journal du Dimanche) that organizing it without fans would allow a part of the economy to keep turning.— Denny Hamlin closed NASCAR’s iRacing Series on Saturday with a victory at a simulation of throwback North Wilkesboro Speedway. This year’s Daytona 500 champion had four fresh tires as he chased down leader Ross Chastain and nudged him out of the way. Chastain retaliated by hitting Hamlin’s car after the checkered flag. Timmy Hill finished second, followed by Tyler Reddick, Chastain and Austin Dillon. Hamlin also won the opening iRacing event on March 22.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Cricket Australia has postponed a Twenty20 series against the West Indies scheduled for October. Australia and the West Indies were set to play games in Queensland state from Oct. 4-9 as warm-ups for the Twenty20 World Cup in October and November. But the International Cricket Council has already pushed the men’s T20 World Cup back by a year — to be held either in Australia or India. Cricket Australia says, “In light of this development, and given the preference to host the warm-up three-match T20 series against the West Indies to coincide with the rescheduled T20 World Cup in Australia, it has been agreed to postpone the matches.”The series also would have overlapped with the Indian Premier League which has been rescheduled to be in the United Arab Emirates from Sept. 19-Nov. 10, pending government approval. The lucrative IPL usually attracts players from all over the world, including many stars from the Caribbean and Australia.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports August 4, 2020 Associated Press The Latest: Australia-West Indies T20 series in October off
VICE-PRESIDENT of Berbice Chess Association (BCA) Steve Leung is hopeful that the upcoming R. Sookraj & Sons Outback Adventures Chess Open 2019 will help pave the way for more tournaments in the Ancient County.The University of Guyana (UG) Berbice Campus at Tain Village on the Corentyne will come alive on Sunday, December 1 when the sponsored event gets underway with registration starting at 09:00hrs.Playing under the Swiss System, contestants will have 20 minutes each and 7 rounds to strut their stuff, with hopes of walking away with cash prizes and trophies which will be up for grabs.Leung said that he hopes to have more monthly Opens heading into the new year, while he confirmed that the next item on the federation’s agenda will target schools. The VP said that BCA will be working closely with Guyana Chess Federation (GCF) in order to host a Berbice Inter-School competition in January of 2020.He further admitted that since the last tournament held in September this year, the support and the responses, heading into the upcoming tourney, have been great and he hopes more attention will come BCA’s way.
Published on September 5, 2015 at 2:27 pm Contact Sam: firstname.lastname@example.org | @SamBlum3 Terrel Hunt will miss the entire 2015 season after tearing his Achilles tendon on a non-contact play on Friday night, SU Athletics confirmed in a release Saturday. He will miss the rest of the 2015 season and is scheduled to have surgery on his injured Achilles. Just seven minutes and 27 seconds into the first quarter, Hunt ran the ball for a 2-yard gain, but injured himself on the play.He was assisted off the field, putting no pressure on his right leg, before he entered the locker room on crutches. It is the second straight season-ending injury for Hunt, who missed the final seven games of the 2014 season with a broken fibula.Freshman Eric Dungey, who replaced Hunt following his injury, will continue to be the SU starter, offensive coordinator Tim Lester said. Dungey threw for two touchdowns and 114 yards on Friday, and was replaced by backup Austin Wilson midway through the third quarter.“Terrel’s deal is not good,” Shafer said, following the game. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+
Brennen Lopez | Daily TrojanAfter a full weekend of games at the Aggie Roundup, the men’s water polo team charges into yet an even more jam-packed weekend as it takes on UC San Diego on Thursday and then co-hosts the Mountain Pacific Invitational with Loyola Marymount Friday through Sunday. By the end of the weekend, the Trojans will have played five full games, which is a daunting task. The Trojans know this and are trusting their training and mentally preparing for it, so they can show up to each game with the same amount of energy. “I think the most difficult part is just going to be getting tired,” senior utility Mihajlo Milicevic said. “We just have to deal with that fatigue and we just have to stay focused and stay motivated because we have five games this week. We just have to be motivated for each game and go step by step just to stay focused.”The Trojans’ first game on Thursday is not attached to the tournament, but it is still a significant part of their overall weekend. The team always talks about focusing on each game as it comes, but the Trojans are using the game against UCSD as a sort of trial run for the tournament. It will be at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center, like the tournament, and will give them a chance to show their home crowd what kind of play to expect this weekend. “It is going to be a great game,” Milicevic said. “It is going to be more of a great practice for us before the tournament because San Diego is a great opponent. It’s just more for us to prepare for the tournament.”Nine games into the season and still undefeated, the Trojans know how important each game is to reaching their goal of a national championship title. Even though they have conquered each opponent so far, they know that they have a long way to go before they will be satisfied. This weekend plays right into that mindset, as they plan to take each game at a time and learn from them in order to play even better the next game.“Every practice we have, we practice different plays and different strategies,” Milicevic said. “We tried to implement that during those games, and it helped us find out more about each other — what are our weaknesses, what are our strengths and what we should work on in the future.”The tournament is setting up to be a big one. The Trojans will start off by facing San Jose State on Friday. With a victory, they will come up against either UC Irvine or UC Santa Barbara Saturday morning. From there, they have a chance at a rematch, as they could end up taking on Long Beach State or Stanford again Saturday evening. The biggest potential match would be the final on Sunday, as the Trojans, if they make it to the finals, could potentially play Cal, which beat them last season at the national championships. For USC, making it to that game is the goal so that it can redeem itself and show Cal that this year is different. More than anything, though, the Trojans are excited to play this next set of games at home in front of their crowd of loyal fans. After a long weekend away, they are happy to be back at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. For them, the atmosphere is different at home than away, and they feel the crowd helps them with their energy and ultimately in protecting their house.“It is always great playing at USC, at our own pool,” Milicevic said. “It is just completely different. It is going to help us a lot.”The Trojans’ game against UC San Diego begins at 5 p.m. on Thursday at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center.